USCF Rules govern all rated tournaments in the USA.
FIDE Rules are applicable for a FIDE Rated tournament.
Familiarize yourself with the rules of the game. And I don't mean how to play the game. I mean all the other rules....
- about tournament play: http://www.uschess.org/content/view/7328/28/
- tournament rules
- a helpful video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-KTHkrVpc
- this is a bit detailed and may not be entirely up to date, but a good general reference for the most part: http://www.gatewaychess.org/Quick_Guide.pdf
- official rules for USCF rated events: https://new.uschess.org/news/7th-edition-rule-book-chapters-now-available-download
- if you are playing in a FIDE rated event, the rules are different! but they will only likely apply to you if you are actually competing within the FIDE rated section; for FIDE Handbook see this link: https://handbook.fide.com/
- all about byes: https://www.danheisman.com/byes.html
- Blitz Rules!